Tham khảo tài liệu 'bài tập bổ trợ anh văn nâng cao', tài liệu phổ thông, ôn thi đh-cđ phục vụ nhu cầu học tập, nghiên cứu và làm việc hiệu quả
Nội dung Text: BÀI TẬP BỔ TRỢ ANH VĂN NÂNG CAO
- BÀI TẬP BỔ TRỢ ANH VĂN NÂNG CAO
I. Use “to + infinitive” to complete the following sentences
1. The next train … at platform 2 will be the 7.45 to Ho Chi Minh City
2. It was careless of you … the door unlocked when we went out
3. Neil Armstrong was the first man … on the moon
4. I was really delighted … your letter last Sunday
5. If I have any more news, you’ll be the first …
6. Was Jane surprised … you when you visited her again?
7. Do you think this water is safe …?
8. Jane is an interesting person … to
II. Complete the following sentences with a correct preposition
1. There are some differences … British English and American English
2. There are many advantages … being able to speak a foreign language
3. I’ve just received an invitation … a wedding next week
4. Money isn’t the solution … every problem
5. When I opened the envelope, I was delighted to find a cheque … $900
6. The fact that he got a job in the company has no connection … the fact that his father
is the managing director
7. Sorry I haven’t written to you for so long. The reason … this is that I’ve been ill
8. My brother is very good … English
III. Circle the correct answer for each number in the following text
1. A. more successful B. successful
C. most successful D. as successful
2. A. as B. and C. so that D. in order to
3. A. everything B. anywhere C. somewhere D. nowhere
4. A. a B. some C. every D. the
5. A. from B. that C. by D. with
6. A. who B. that C. what D. whom
7. A. any B. the C. a D. an
8. A. next B. then C. first D. after
- Man is the (1)… creature on Earth. He has conquered nature (2)… he can live safely
almost (3)… . He has tamed animals and changed (4)… world he lives in.
Despite these achievements, man is not very different (5)… animals. He has the same
bones, muscles, organs, and glands. Unlike many creatures, man has not developed
specialized features (6) … help him to live in (7)… particular surroundings.
Man is the reasoning creature. He can think about a problem, find a solution, plan
what to do, and (8)… carry out this plan
IV. Circle the underlined part (A, B, C or D) that contains the error and correct them
1. “The shop cross the road (A) is where (B) I bought the flowers from (C)”, said (D)
2. It was really surprise (A) that those (B) children survived (C) the fire that destroyed
all the (D) houses
3. Mary was afraid (A) that the English teacher would be angry (B) to (C) her because
she left (D) her English exercise book at home
4. If you try to concentrate (A) on (B) one subject for (C) too long, you might fed-up
(D) and not really learn anything
V. Put in the correct form of the verbs:
When we were at school as children we were (make/ wear) … indoor shoes inside the
school building. The teachers would never (let us/ wear) … our outdoor shoes at all and
they (make us/ change) … in the changing room from the moment we entered the
building. I’d never known teachers (be) … more strict about any other school rule. The
trouble was that my indoor shoes really (make me/ suffer) … because they were so tight.
“(Let us/ expand) … our shoes!” A fellow sufferer suggested. He had had a brilliant
We put plastic bags inside our shoes and poured water into the bags. We sealed the
bags carefully and put our shoes into the freezer. Of course the ice (make the shoes/
expand) … and they were a pleasure to wear. This clever idea (help me/ get) … through
my schooldays with less discomfort and I have never forgotten it.
VI. Read the passage below and answer the questions followed
How do deaf people talk?
Deaf people can’t hear sounds. How do they “hear” words and talk?
- Deaf people use American Sign Language (ASL). They talk with their hands.
Sometimes two deaf people talk to each other. They both use ASL. Sometimes a person
who can hear interprets for the deaf people. The person listens to someo ne talking, and he
or she makes hand signs
There are two kinds of sign language. One kind has a sign for every letter in the
alphabet. The person spells every word. This is finger spelling. The other kind has a sign
for every word. There are about 5,000 of these signs. They are signs for verbs, things and
Some of the signs are very easy, for example, eat, milk, and house. You can see what
they mean. Others are more difficult, for example, star, egg, or week.
People from any country can learn ASL. They use signs, not words, so they can
understand people from other countries.
ASL is almost like a dance. The whole body talks. American Sign Language is a
1. How do deaf people talk?
2. How does a person interpret for the deaf people?
3. How many signs are there for finger spelling?
4. How many word signs are there?
VII. Fill in each blank one missing word
In the United State of America, the national language is also English. Four hundred
years ago some English people (1)… to North America to live there, and they brought the
(2)… language to this new country. Now in the United States of America people speak
(3)… English. Most of words are the (4)… in American and in British English, but the
American people say some English words not like people (5)… in Eng land. Canada is to
the North of The United States of America. It is (6)… than the United States. In Canada
many people speak (7)… because they also came from England many years ago. But in
some parts of Canada, they speak (8)…. The people living in these parts came from
VIII. Fill in each blank a suitable phrase
Why I want to learn English
English is the (1)… in the world today. A very large number of people understand
and use English in all (2) … world. Indeed, English is a very useful language. If (3)… .
- we can go to any place or country we like. We shall not find it hard to (4)… what we
want to say.
English also helps us to learn all kinds of subjects. Hundred of (5)… every day in all
countries to teach people many useful things. The English language has therefore helped
to spread ideas and knowledge to al l corners of the world. There is no subject that can
not be (6)….
As English is used so much everywhere in the world, it has helped to make the
countries of the world (7)… . The leaders of the world use English to understand one
another. The English language has therefore also helped to spread better understanding
and friendship among countries of the world
Lastly, a person who knows English is respected by people. It is (8)… that I want to
IX. Choose one of these words to fill in the blank
that but when although
because however while
Where, when and how languages began is still a mystery. Many people think (1)…
language grew from human beings imitating animal sounds and that they learned t o use
these sounds to communicate with each other. Probably the language of primitive people
consisted of a complicated system of sounds. (2)…, we can only trace the history of
languages to the time (3)… they were first written and by then they were well developed.
Today there are more than 3,000 different spoken tongues in the world. English is the
most widely spoken language: over 315 million people speak it (4)… about 530 million
people speak Chinese-Mandrin. You many wonder (5)… English is more widely spoken
(6)… more people speak Chinese-Mandrin. This is (7)… Chinese speaking people are
more or less confined to China to China and Chinese communities (8)… English –
speaking people are found in almost every corner of the world.
- ANSWER FOR UNIT 01
I. 1. to arrive2. to leave 3. to walk 4. to get/ to receive 5. to know 6. to see 7. to drink 8. to
II. 1. between2. of 3. to 4. to 5. for 6. with7. for 8. at
III. 1C 2C 3B 4D 5A 6B 7A 8B
IV. 1A 2A 3C 4D
V. 1. made to wear 2. let us wear 3. made us change 4. to be 5. made me suffer 6. let’s
expand 7. made the shoes expand 8. help me get
VI. 1. They talk with their hands
2. The person listens to someone talking, and then he makes and signs
3. There are 26 signs for fingers spelling
4. There are 5,000 word signs
VII. 1. sailed 2. English 3. American 4. same 5. do 6. large7. English 8. French
VIII. 1. most important language 2. parts of the world 3. we know English 4. make
people understand 5. books are written in English 6. be learned in the English language 7.
become friendly with one another 8. for all these reasons
IX. 1. that 2. however 3. when 4. while 5. why 6. although 7. because 8. but