Marketing to Generation Y
June 4, 2008
• Who is Generation Y?
• What does Generation Y most value?
• Why is this topic important?
• How do you market to Generation Y?
• When do you act?
Who is Generation Y?
•Over 75 million people
•Significant world events
What does Gen Y most value?
Why is this topic important?
How do you market to Generation Y?
Gen Y’s Top 15 Most Loyal Brands
• Apple • Target
• Trader Joe‘s • H&M
• Jet Blue • Levi's
• In N Out • Volkswagen
• Ben N Jerry's • Converse
• Whole Foods • Vitamin Water
• Adidas • Red Stripe
• American Apparel
Why These Brands?
The formula for success with marketing to Gen Y:
1. Clean + Simple= Hip (no fuss, no muss!) It's trendy to be simple
2. Quirky, unique and dorky (Jet Blue and Trader Joe's are both
known for being one of a kind shops)
3. Happy employees (people who work at the aforementioned
companies say they LOVE their jobs!)
How do you reach Gen Y?
•Get to know their
•Build a trusting
them on their terms
Marketing to Gen Y
• Social networking
• Extreme sporting
• Gen Y street teams
• Partnering with youth
• Gen Y word of mouth
Consumer 2.0 by Mr. Youth
• Authenticity Trumps Celebrity - Consumer 2.0 responds to honest, relevant
messaging from peers over marketing speak and celebrity endorsements
• Niche is the New Norm - Consumers 2.0 do not form a mass market. They relish in
choices and look for products and services that speak to them personally
• Bite-Size Communication Dominates - Consumer 2.0 digests short, personal and
highly relevant messaging in bulk while growing increasingly adept at blocking out
• Personal Utility Drives Adoption - Consumer 2.0 chooses to consume what they
find useful in their lives over manufactured marketing needs
• Consumers Own Brands - Consumer 2.0 will speak about, re-purpose and
associate with your brand as they see fit
• Get the full report at http://MrYouth.com
When do you act?
“We believe that the time for change is here and now.
It is time to start leading and stop resisting this
generation’s efforts and contributions.”
-Bea Fields, Scott Wilder, Jim Bunch and Rob Newbold
Co-Authors: Millennial Leaders: Success Stories From Today’s Most
Brilliant Generation Y Leaders