I. Pretest 12D (update 12.7.12)
1. (Whatever, However, Whichever, Wherever) effort the doctor made, he couldn’t save the child.
2. Why was he sacked? – Because of (him to be, him being, his being, he was) dishonest.
3. That’s the nice coast, and the color (fits, matches, suits, shows) you well.
4. This picture is (priceless, unprofitable, invaluable, worthless); the thief will be disappointed when he tries to sell it.
5. I’ve lived near the railway so long that I’ve grown (accustomed, familiar, aware, conscious) to the noise.